Flip's Five-grain Porridge
Bowl up, bowl up
Flip Shelton, who initiated National Porridge Day in 2008, says porridge doesn't get the recognition it deserves and is urging everyone to pull on some woolly socks and bowl up!
"Grains are the most glorious way to start the day - they fill you up without weighing you down."
"The first day of winter is the perfect time to celebrate National Porridge Day. Hopefully it will be pouring with rain and freezing cold...but if it's a stunning sunny winter's day, then that's good too!"
"As Sweden has National Cinnamon Bun Day, Turkey has National Turkey Day and America has National Frozen Food Day, Australia can have National Porridge Day - surely."
How to celebrate National Porridge Day
- Start... slowly. Don't set the alarm.
- Slip... into some woolly socks.
- Wander... into the kitchen and prepare a big bowl of Flip Shelton's fabulous new "five-grain porridge" with rolled oats, rye, barley, triticale and spelt.
- Go... back to bed with your bowl of porridge or sit comfortably and eat slowly.
- Later... go for a ride in the hills, a walk by the beach, or potter in the garden.
Flip talks about National Porridge Day with Timbo Reid for his #1 marketing podcast, Small Business Big Marketing, 23 May 2012: How to start a national day for your brand
(This went to the top of the iTunes Business and Marketing podcasts chart!)
Flip on 774 ABC Melbourne with Rafael Epstein, 16 May 2012: We need to talk about breakfast!